"And are built upon the foundation of
the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself
being the chief corner stone; In whom all the
building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy
temple in the Lord: IN whom ye also are builded
together for a habitation of God through the Spirit."
Ephesians 2: 20-22.
God has been truly gracious to Nazarene Temple Apostolic Faith Church, which had its humble beginnings about fifty-five years ago. It was founded in East Baltimore by the late Bishop Thomas Harris in the year 1946 at Castle and Eager Streets. The church later moved to 1119 North Gay Street, then to 1249 East North Avenue. God was blessing and adding to the church. There now was a need for a larger edifice.
Bishop Harris felt that his time of leaving his earthly vessel was approaching. But he was focused on the vision that God had given him concerning a sanctuary for his flock. He said constantly that the building was not for himself, but for the flock to have a suitable place to worship after his demise. He knew that according to the grace of god, which was given unto him as a wise master builder, he had laid the foundation and another would build thereon. For one planteth and one watereth and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labor. In July 1968, we moved into our present location. The church was dedicated in September of the same year.
Bishop Harris saw a partial fulfillment of his vision in the unity among the brethren. When Nazarene Temple served as host site for the 1969 Mid-Winter Convention of the Pentecostal Churches of the Apostolic Faith ASSN, Inc. About three months later on June 3, 1969 God called Bishop Harris home to rest from his labor.
The responsibility of leading us on fell upon the shoulders of Elder Richard W. Harris, Sr. He was not related to bishop Harris, but was his son in the gospel. Elder Harris served as interim pastor until he was officially installed as pastor on Sunday November 28, 1971.
The temple has been a true sanctuary meeting both spiritual and physical needs of mankind. Through it's youth outreach ministry, food bank soup kitchen, community health fairs, senior citizens meal program (which provided one hot meal a day), the use of the temple for community meetings, Vacation Bible School, radio broadcasting, and providing emergency assistance to prevent evictions, utility turn off, as well as burial assistance.
There have been several ministries birthed from the temple: the late Elder Paul Carrington, Elder John Briscoe, Bishop, Hansome Walker, Bishop Louis Jones, the late pastor Florence Jackson ( today is the Full Gospel True Mission D/D Gilbert Edwards), the late Pastor J.A. Davis ( today is Nazarene Temple #2 Elder Joseph Williams and the lat Bishop James Ray (today is pastored by Pastor Francis Ray).
In 1990 Elder Allan Fleet, Sr. was called to become the second assistant pastor of the Nazarene Temple Church Later he performed the duties of the Assistant Pastor for a short while. Then Elder Fleet was called to become the Acting Pastor in August 1996. He was later installed as the Pastor of the Nazarene Temple Apostolic Faith Church on January 9, 1999. Through many dangerous toils and snares we have already come. It was God's grace that bought us safe thus far and only His grace shall lead us on. "Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain." (Psalms 127:1)